- Participants will learn how the bio-physiology of trauma affects the whole person.
- Participants will understand the differences between shock (event) trauma and developmental trauma.
- The Polyvagal theory of how the nervous system works will be explained as it relates to health and trauma.
- Participants will learn the concept of the “window of tolerance” as it occurs in clients.
- Participants will be introduced to attachment theory, especially as it relates to early trauma.
- Participants will learn and practice attunement skills, and the importance of creating a “safe haven” for therapeutic work.
- Participants will be introduced to the concepts of auto-regulation, self-regulation and co-regulation.
- Participants will learn how the somatic approach and somatic touch can help increase regulation and resilience in a traumatized system.
- Guidelines and ethics for somatic work and somatic touch will be discussed.
- Participants will learn techniques for increasing regulation in the system and how to track changes as they occur.